Saturday, May 5, 2012

Here Piggy Piggy – A Day at No Name Cay

Saturday May 5th.  Another beautiful day in paradise, The sun was shining and the water flat so we decided to motor to No Name Cay for the day. No Name is uninhabited except for some pigs that were brought there by someone.  We dinked to the beach and proceeded with our regular routine. Tom sets up camp with his chair and cooler then he starts down the beach one way and I the other looking for treasures. The sun was hot so rather than follow us, Peanut choose to dig a hole in the cool sand under Tom’s chair and hunker down there. As I approached an area with benches and a structure that resembled a very tall table all forward motion stopped. There under what was obviously a shelter four heads popped up to watch me. Not knowing whether these were wild boars or domesticated pigs I slowly turned around and headed back towards our little camp.  On our way back to the boat we dinked back over to the pig encampment for a few photos. When the pigs heard the dinghy motor they came running out to the beach then into the water!  They were obviously expecting a snack, and not having one with and not wanting to be the snack I strongly suggested we back up into deeper water.  When the pigs realized we did not have food they returned to their spot under the table/shelter. In turn we went on to the far side of the Cay to continue our treasure hunt. My red treasure bucket in hand I started down the beach. As I came around the corner I realized I was back near the pig encampment but not seeing any little ears I decided to finish the area to that spot. Next thing I know here come the pigs, this time following me down the beach!! Then I realize, Darn I am carrying a bucket!  Just about then two dingies pulled up and yelled “Hey are those your pigs?” I laughed with a loud no, but continued to walk. The pigs decided to investigate the dinghies which gave me the opportunity to power walk back around the corner. Tom felt the pigs were domestic and used to being fed so I decided  to feed the pigs before we left the Cay and get a few more pictures.  We took Peanut to the boat, gathered some scraps and went back to the beach. Unfortunately no sign of the pigs. I guess they figure after four all the boats leave( it’s a day anchorage) so no reason to hang out for hand outs.  I went up on shore and started calling “Here Piggy Piggy” Tom yelled “Souie” from the safety of the dinghy, I might add. In a few minutes here come two pigs a runnin, and so was I! When they reached the waters edge I threw out some celery and a bisquit. The pigs swam out to the food!  It was funny to watch them try and catch the celery as it floated away.  Tom encouraged me to feed them but I wanted to keep all my fingers so I dropped the food to them. One of them did let me pet his head.  A few days after our pig visit I was telling the story and he responded with a story about a boater trying to feed the pigs at Staniel Cay in the Exumas recently. She lost three fingers!
008
014 
028_crop
059

No comments:

Post a Comment