Thursday, April 12, 2012

Back to Lynyard Cay

We woke up to sunshine and calmer waters so back to Lynyard Cay we went to finish our exploring. Quite a few, 16 to be exact, boats were also going to take advantage of the weather and explore the area. We were able to anchor very near the spot we had before.  Once anchor we took the dinghy to the beach at the far end of the island. It really wasn't much of a beach and we ended up climbing the rock formations at the end of the island. Tom looked through the junk that had washed up on the rocks, rope, wood, plastic, etc.,  and I looked for unusal shells and sea glass. It was fascinating to see how the water had carved holes, indentations and inlets in the rock and because it was low tide I was able to get a close look at some sea urchins living in holes in the rocks. An hour later we headed for the dinghy carrying a large boat cushion, a bouy, and various other pieces of junk. One mans trash another mans treasure?  We motored down a little ways to the next beach. Now this was my kind of beach! My bucket quickly filled with unusual and beautiful shells and quite a few pieces of sea glass. The rising tide was our signal that it was time to give up the hunt and return to the boat. It was a fun day!  The next morning we took a different path to the ocean side of the island. The area had a number of jagged rocky ledges with sections of sand behind them. I found sea glass stuck in holes in the rocks and buried in the sand around some large singular rocks. After lunch we headed across to another island to explore the beach there. It was a totally different. Instead of rocks the background for this beach was a forest of long needled pine trees.  After dinner I decided to put out a fishing pole with a piece of fish on the hook.  About 10:30 the reel screamed and Peanut began barking. I ran to the pole ( as fast as you can run on a boat!) and started reeling. Once I realized I had a fish I also realized I had a problem. Tom was asleep and Peanut, although excited, was not going to help get him in the boat. I had nothing to loose so once I had him beside the boat I flipped him in the air and onto the bow pad! He bounced off and landed in the walkway. I couldn't believe he didn't fall of the hook while in the air! While Peanut was busy trying to bite the fish I woke Tom up to help me figure out what to do with him. It's a good thing Peanut was watching over the fish for me because when Tom picked him up he was already off the hook! Tom cleaned him,(only fair since I caught him don't you think?!)  We enjoyed a dinner of snapper the next nite.

                                            A rocky cliff with a huge piece of net stuck on it
                                                 A ledge on the ocean side of Lynyard Cay

No comments:

Post a Comment