Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sun., 22-Tues., 24 - Can you say Dramamine

We woke up Sunday morning to find a few more boats had come in including another 42 ft Jefferson. We started on a few morning chores. Toms priority was the head, no it was still not working correctly. Although I was trying to be patient I was ready to order the darn pump myself!  It was windy and the boat swayed but it wasn't uncomfortable.  The couple on the Carol Ann, the Jefferson, stopped over for a visit and we had fun comparing the layout of our boats.  We tootled to the marina on the dink to get bait, check on where we were on the waiting list and check out the area.  Sunday evening the wind changed and the water was pretty choppy but we did OK.  Overnight the weather worsened and we did a lot of rocking. Tom and Peanut were having a difficult time on Monday, both having to spend most of their time up on the aft deck to avoid getting sea sick.  Thank goodness I was doing fine so I could be their gopher. We decided to pull up anchor and check out the anchorage on the inside.  Tom found a couple of spots he felt we could squeeze in between sail boats.  I was very uncomfortable with the close proximity of the boats combined with the intensity of the wind.  I really had difficulty getting us far enough forward between boats so when Tom dropped anchor the wind pushed us out into the channel. Not a good thing so we picked up anchor and tried again.  This time Tom at the helm and I was at the anchor. I had never operated the anchor release before and this was probably not the best time to learn. Tom did a nice job of getting us up in between two boats BUT in my nervousness I stepped on the button to engage the anchor as I used the bar to release it at the same time so of course the anchor had no idea what it was supposed to do and I had no idea what was wrong until Tom yelled.  Now he has to maneuver between boats in the wind to get us back out safely to try a third time. But I',m spent, frustrated and tired of being yelled at so I announced I was done. You know the ol saying sometimes you watch the show and sometimes you are the show.  I was tired of being the show.  Back out of the harbor we went to anchor in rough seas.  Tom and peanut ended up sleeping on the Fly Bridge Monday night and Tuesday morning we headed for land first thing in the morning to get off the rocking boat.  Thankfully about noon on Tuesday we got the call that a mooring ball was available. Did we still want it she asked?  Are you kidding me I thought to myself!!  We certainly do I responded!  Now we would have to fight the wind and catch the mooring ball.  Tom had gone over one row to many so we had to approach the mooring ball from the front. Trusty boat hook in hand I stood by as he edged us to the ball. Capture on the first try and we were secure! Woohoo! Our neighbor yelled over "that's no fun you made it look easy", I laughed as I thought to myself, he should have seen us yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment